Chalk Painted Chest of Drawers Makeover

It's been a while since I have written a Makeover Monday post, so I thought it was time to share one that I completed over a month ago. Where oh where does the time go?


Speaking of time, I have started "batching" projects. Because it takes time to gather, and then put away the drop cloths, sander, primer, paint, brushes, polyacrylic, and brush cleaner, I have found that I save time by tackling a couple of painting projects at one time whenever everything is already out. It also saves time in that I put everything away at one time. Due to the humidity, I have been painting indoors, which clutters up the main traffic path through the house. Things are more harmonious when the mess is limited to a couple of consecutive days rather than several days throughout the week. Can anyone else relate??


I bought this chest a couple of months ago through Facebook Marketplace. If you have not ever shopped marketplace, you can read about my experience and see some of my purchases in this post. It's a great way to score some quality pieces at great prices. I have found that most people are in the process of replacing furniture or moving, so they are anxious to unload pieces quickly.




I began by removing all the drawers and hardware.



This piece is not an antique but manufactured by an excellent brand. It is heavy and the drawers glide beautifully. Because it is newer and had a slick finish to it, I gave it a good rub down with Liquid Sandpaper.





I then painted the drawers and the chest with a coat of my favorite Kilz primer.




The next day, I applied two coats of white chalk paint to the drawers and two coats of the platinum ring to the chest. I used the Kilz chalk paint, which is another one of my favorite products. Not only is it a great product, but it is almost always in stock at Walmart.



After scrubbing the hardware with Dawn dish detergent and warm water, I sprayed it with a thin coat of Rust-Oleum Paint and Primer in Vintage Gold.



While the hardware was drying, I applied two coats of Polyacrylic on the chest and drawers.



While this is not a sponsored post, I think it's important to mention that all of the products I used were purchased at Walmart.



So before I could style and photograph the chest of drawers like I normally do for a blog post, my husband put the hardware on and took it straight to The Vintage Mercantile. While I'm sad to say I didn't get any good pictures of the finished product, I can hardly complain about Lovey's efficiency!! I think he was probably motivated by the cluttered traffic path I mentioned earlier!




To view this chest makeover, visit this post.


Thank you for checking in on this Monday. I would love for you to comment and share your recent makeover projects!


Fondly,

Julie



SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL

© 2023 by Salt & Pepper. Proudly created with Wix.com