One-Piece Sofa Slipcover Tutorial: Part 3
I hope this tutorial has been inspiring and helpful. PLEASE email me if you have any questions. If you can dream it, you can achieve it!!
Today I'm sharing how to piece and stitch together the 15 pieces of fabric. With slipcovers, you pin and stitch with the wrong side out. With every added piece, you have to "try it on" the piece of furniture. This is why you will often hear this method referred to as the "dressmaker or taylor's" method.
I started by sewing the piping on each side of the front center piece of the sofa. This will give it that individual cushion look.
I then pinned and sewed the left and right pieces to the center section.
Here is the result, with the right side out.
Next, I pinned and stitched the piping to the back sides of the sofa.
Notice how I made little slits in the seam allowance of the piping so that it has some give and will curve easily.
With right sides together (always), but pinned the wrong side out, I stitched the back sides to the bodice of the sofa. I turned it right side out to make sure it was fitting properly.
At this point, I pinned, then sewed the piping around the front of the arms.
Next, I pinned and then stitched the bottom side to the front arm.
I pinned and stitched the arm piece to the front of the arm, the side and front of the sofa.
There is a fair amount of excess fabric between the arm and bodice, but I trim that and then also tuck it in. It's important to leave enough so that you can get a good tuck!
This is a good time to point out that I like to work side to side instead of doing one side all at once. It's what works for me, plus I think it makes for a better fit.
I pinned and sewed the cording up one side of the sofa, and across the top. For this step I actually sewed right side out and as close to the piping as possible.
I turned the cover back to the wrong side out, sewed the first of the three back panels to the side of the sofa.
I sewed the other two panels on, making sure the piping matched up with the seams.
Back to the front of the sofa, I ran a piece of cording across the front, which also makes the cushions to look as if they are individually covered.
I sewed the bottom front and trimmed the excess fabric.
At this point, all that is left is the pleated skirt and ties. I will cover those in my next post and then show the finished product.
I hope this tutorial has been inspiring and helpful. PLEASE email me if you have questions. If you can dream it, you can achieve it!!