top of page

French Provincial Dresser and Nightstand Makeover

Thinking I will join the fun and share a furniture makeover every Monday. This will be a great incentive for me to stay on task with my many furniture projects. With a retail space in an antique mall, I am always trying to tackle yet another piece of neglected furniture......I'm trusting my readers will keep me accountable to posting a newly refurbished piece every Monday!!

I bought these two pieces off of Market Place a couple of weeks back. My space was void at the time of any French Provincial furniture, so I thought these would be a great addition. I paid a $100 total for both pieces. On a side note, rarely do I work on furniture indoors, but with the cold temperatures it just couldn't be avoided.... so out came the plastic drop cloths.

Supply List:

  • Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer for all Surfaces (Lowes)

  • Kilz Chalk Paint in White (Walmart)

  • Waverly Chalk Paint in Mineral (Walmart)

  • Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish in Satin (Lowes)

  • Run and Buff in Grecian Gold (Hobby Lobby)

  • Orbital Sander

  • Plastic Drop Cloths (Walmart)

I first began by removing the hardware. Next, I lightly sanded all pieces and then wiped them down with some warm soapy water, followed by a tack cloth.

I almost always apply a thin coat of the Zinsser Primer to the furniture I paint. I recognize that chalk paint claims "no prep", but it's been my experience that you get a smoother finish when you have that primer as a base. It also works great on laminate, and both the dresser and nightstand have laminate tops. The picture above shows one coat of the primer.

After about two hours when the primer had dried, I applied 2 coats of the Waverly Chalk Paint in Mineral to the drawers. Drying time between coats was about 45 minutes. During this time I also applied 2 coats of the Kilz Chalk Paint in White to the dresser and nightstand.

Drying time for the Kilz paint took closer to 90 minutes. Both paints are odorless, dry quickly and yield a smooth and durable finish.

The next morning I gave the pieces a light sanding and then applied a thin coat of the Minwax Protective Finish. I also gave the cleaned hardware a treatment of Rub and Buff in the Grecian Gold. When I was reattaching the pulls and knobs, I decided to add a bit of the Rub and Buff to the legs and embellishment on the bottom. I'm glad I did as I think it ties in nicely. What did not turn out so well was me having a mirror in the picture below.....clearly I'm still learning the art of photography!

Voila!! Hopefully this set will end up in a beautiful French inspired bedroom.

As always, thank you for visiting my blog. I hope I have inspired you to save a piece of neglected French Provincial furniture. Please visit again soon for more furniture makeovers and home decor inspiration.

41 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page